Resilience at work would be thisa capacity that allows us to flexibly assume the limiting situations that take place in our professional environment.We are talking about situations that produce high stress peaks because they test our abilities. On the other hand, this anxiety is fueled by another idea: we have to overcome these situations if we want to survive in the professional environment in which we find ourselves.
Very often, many of these borderline situations – associated with a strong emotional impact – take place in our personal world, throughout our lives. This may be the case, for example, with the death of a family member, a very good friend, with a sentimental breakdown or a serious illness. However,these situations can also appear in the professional field: we speak in this case of resilience at work.
We can face a problem in our company, a problem for which we are solely responsible. Bankruptcies or court cases can lead an entrepreneur or employee to a personal crisis.Faced with this, a good resilience capacity will help us get out of the well.
Resilient people rely on a series of traits that differentiate them.Share
How to develop our resilience at work?
Contrary to what one might think, resilience is not an innate quality to every person.It is a skill sensitive to experience.In fact, some people have managed to develop it by taking a loved one who possessed this quality as an example. Others did it by confronting the problems and giving the best of themselves when solving them.
In order to develop our resilience capacity, we can follow some of the following principles:
- In the first place,people with resilience at work are aware of their abilities and strengths.They also know their limitations and the areas in which they are less comfortable. They are thus able to draw achievable goals. To reach them, they use their resources in a more logical way, by delegating or acquiring more tools before facing tasks they do not cope with so well.
- They try to surround themselves with people with a positive vision.The pessimists do not bring them anything useful.
- They view barriers as an opportunity to learn and grow.Therefore, one must take into account the idea that one grows up only with adversities.
- These people are perseveringand do not give up on the first difficulties because they know that success requires effort and consistency.
- They are flexible in the face of change:these and evolution are necessary to improve. At work, they accept the modifications knowing that it may require them to make extra efforts. However, the objectives may be more easily achieved after this adaptation period.
How to be resilient at work?
If we follow the ideas we have just studied, we will gradually be able to develop our resilience at work. However, it is possible to broaden the characteristics of a resilient person more internally. How? By knowing ourselves and following these ideas:
- Increase awareness of our emotions,especially in moments of tension. If we ignore our fears, we will never be able to adopt a positive attitude towards them.
- Control stress and uncertainty.Resilient people have a greater capacity to handle these two concepts so common in the professional field. Although it is not always easy, the idea is that negative feelings should not overly affect us and stress should not last very long or reach very high peaks.
- Be flexible with the opinion of others.If we know how to adapt to changes, as we said before, even if they are negative, we will suffer less. If a novelty occurs at work, debates and misconceptions will arise. Being able to practice active listening,we will avoid arguments and misunderstandings.
- Be patientOften, the obsession with short-term results makes us make hasty decisions. But at work, there is nothing worse. Therefore, patience and waiting ability must be put into practice when medium- or long-term goals are more important than the desires of the moment. Controlling your impulses is synonymous with success in teamwork.
In this article, we have described the importance of resilience as a variable of influence in professional success.We also brought some strategies that can help us to work on it.From now on, we only have to put them into practice and adapt them to our needs.