Some people are a real light on our path and others have turned into a growing darkness that makes our progress difficult.In the same way, there are people who would do everything for us, even the most unimaginable things, and others who would not even move a finger for our well-being. Each of us binds differently to others, depending on the context. As a result, some relationships enrich our lives and others, not so much. These can take place with people who lack empathy.
Have you ever noticed that some people do not understand that you can make mistakes? Have you ever become involved with people who do not take your thoughts or feelings into account?These are people who show no empathy and do not try to put themselves in the other person's shoes.
Empathy is the ability to understand each other's vision of reality by perceiving and becoming aware of one's feelings.Some people do not enjoy this quality. We will therefore see more precisely how these people are, what troubles can be associated with them and how we can relate to them.
The less you show empathy, the less friends you will have. Putting yourself in the other person's shoes helps us grow as a person and see our relationships flourish.Share
Things that people who lack empathy do not do
People who are not interested in others may not be able to develop certain attitudesbecause they are unable (or not interested in the fact) to understand and perceive the feelings of the other. There are cases of disinterested people who lack empathy and we are going to study some of the things they do not do:
- Be concerned for yourself: they do not pay attention to you, either because they are self-centered or because what happens to you does not interest them.
- Be sensitive: even if you tell them what you think and feel, they do not try to understand what is happening to you.
- Trust: Because they do not perceive what we think and feel, people who lack empathy do not feel safe in their relationships.
- Believe in the feelings of others: disinterested people doubt our emotions. They are extremely cold in front of them.
- Show compassion: They do not feel an impulse to want to relieve the pain or suffering of others.
If you keep these characteristics in mind, you can easily recognize people who lack empathy in your surroundings.But remember, there are nuances in any type of relationship.Some people have a very weak capacity for empathy and others have too much.
Lack of empathy and selfishness
People who lack empathy never put themselves in the other's shoes. They do not deal with the feelings and thoughts of others.One of the most egregious characteristics of selfless people is their selfishness.
Thus, people who lack empathy can be very selfish because they think only of their well-being and leave the needs of others aside. They take advantage of the situation to reap the benefits. And, at the same time, take advantage of us.
For them, relations must be reciprocal and they push this fact to the extreme.They give only if they receive something in return. Therefore, they do not do anything selflessly. They connect with others in a utilitarian way and turn manipulation into a lifestyle.
These people may seem very coldbecause we live with them unpleasant situations in which we feel misunderstood. They only pay attention to their well-being. They are unfriendly people who do not connect with others.
Disorders associated with lack of empathy
We can all, one day or another, lack empathy.However, some people clearly and consistently display this feature. Some psychological disorders are closely related to lack of empathy. Here they are :
- The narcissistic personality disorder: people are egocentric and are extremely concerned for themselves. They leave the others aside. The lack of empathy in this personality disorder is related to the fact that they do not see beyond their own person.
- Psychopathy: people can not adapt to social norms and have trouble connecting to others. It is obvious that they lack empathy.
- Limit Personality Disorder: the person suffers from emotional instability and has difficulty maintaining stable relationships. She has a lot more trouble understanding and knowing how others feel.
When you make an effort to explain to them why their reactions hurt you, they usually do not understand it.They even make you feel guilty by returning their jacket and telling you that you did not do well. Be careful: the lack of empathy can do a lot of harm to those who are victims.
How to confront people who lack empathy?
Some people who lack empathy do not just have trouble understanding us; they also manipulate us to get what they want. Here are some ideas to better deal with these people:
- Set limits: it is you who decide the line that these people can not go beyond you. Be careful !
- Choose your friends well :if you feel they see only their own needs, stay away from them. They will cause you discomfort.
- Use assertiveness: communicate what you want to say in the clearest possible way. The others will know how you feel. In this way, you will not confuse a person who lacks empathy with someone who has trouble adequately conveying what he means.
- Stay away if you do not feel an emotional connection: if you do not perceive that a connection is taking place between your thoughts, your feelings and those of the other, go away. You may find yourself in front of a person who lacks empathy.
Extremes do not lead us anywhere.We can sometimes go wrong and see only our own interests but that does not mean that we are not people lacking empathy. The important thing is to know how to choose the people around you. Those in whom we will place our trust. We will know who we can count on during difficult times.
People lacking empathy are not interested in others at all.They are therefore not able to put themselves in our own skin to understand what we feel and think. They see no further than the tip of their nose and are constantly in their comfort zone.
Stay awayyou have people who make you feel guilty.They only try to take you to their field to make the most of your vulnerability. They are cold, manipulative people who do not really express what they feel and will never understand the situation you are going through.