Often we do not know how to say no, and we give in to all kinds of requests. It is hard to say no, because it makes us feel selfish, and we are afraid that the other person will want us, criticize us, and turn our backs on us.
However,Sometimes you have to know how to say no to gain respect for yourself and those around you.
It is important to understand thatthe ability to say no is closely related to self-esteem.In fact, people who have low self-esteem and low self-esteem tend to feel more nervous with others, and tend to say yes easily.
It may be because of your parents who were too protective and authoritarian, or because of the education you received that preached obedience and helpfulness, that your self-esteem has come to depend on things you do for others.
It's a vicious circle in which the people around you wait for you to comply with their desires.
Being unable to say no can stress you, make you irritable, and leave you without energy, which is whyit is necessary to learn to evaluate the situation before accepting anything.
Tips for saying no
– Use simple answers,expressed firmly and directly. Remember, you do not have to ask permission to say no. Do not make excuses and give the real reasons why you refuse to do what you are asked to do.
– Think about your free time, and what you want to do with it. Only then will you be able to say no with more confidence and confidence.
– Do not engage if you can not, access only those queries that you agree with, or that you feel capable of accomplishing. You can also suggest alternatives, but never commit yourself if you can not go all the way.
– Never forget rejection and rejection are two very distinct things.If you refuse to do something, it does not mean that you reject the person who asks you to do it. If a person has the right to ask you a favor, you have the same right to say no to him.
– Do not feel guilty about saying no to your children, for it is good for them to hear this answer from time to time. This allows them to develop a sense of self control, and to set boundaries.
– Be true to yourself as for what you really want.
Keep in mind that the expression of your own desires comes first, although you will sometimes have to make concessions and accept certain things in life.
Image courtesy of Angelo González