Nowadays, when we talk about "depression", we refer to most behaviors that can make us sad.
For many people, all suffering may be related to depression, so that medical conditions merge, and in some cases, we even manage to take antidepressants when we are not necessarily depressed.
Medical conditions to diagnose depression
To be able to say that a person is depressed, certain diagnostic conditions appearing in the DSM-IV (famous psychological diagnostic manual) must be met.
You may feel concerned by some of these conditions that we will develop below. If this is the case, do not panic; if in doubt, do not hesitate to consult a professional.
To be able to say that someone is depressed, at least 5 of the following criteria must be met for at least 2 consecutive weeks:
1. Depressed mood: For most of the day, people affected by depression do not want anything. This is how they see things, and their surroundings explain their condition.
2. They do not take any pleasure in their daily activities, whereas before they did it with enthusiasm. Not only do they no longer enjoy it, but in addition, in some cases, they may even abandon their activities, or at least leave them out for a while.
3. For one month, their weight changes: they get fatter or thinner until they reach a weight that differs by 5% from their "normal" weight. In these cases, the weight loss is not due to the consequences of a diet.
4. They are more tired than usual, or can not sleep anymore; sleep changes every week.
5. They have less energy and are tired most of the day, even if they do not do anything.
6. Almost all day and on almost all occasions, they feel excessively useless or guilty, whereas often this is not necessary.
7. They have trouble thinking and concentrating. In addition, uncertainty and difficulty prevent them from making decisions that seem simple.
8. They think regularly about death; sometimes by fear, and sometimes because they have suicidal thoughts, with or without a specific plan.
If in addition to all this, the professional, social, family and / or romantic life is deteriorating and that all the previously mentioned symptoms are not explained by the consumption of a drug or a drug, then you would do well to consult a professional to remedy your great feeling of sadness.Do not use self-diagnosis or self-medication.
On the other hand, sometimes, after the loss of a loved one or great suffering, some of these symptoms may be present, since great suffering affects daily life.
For this reason or for different reasons, only a professional is entitled to diagnose depression, and to treat it with treatment if necessary.
How to overcome depression
If you have any of these symptoms, remember that neither self-medication nor self-diagnosis will help you. Talk to a professional or your general practitioner so that he can help you choose the most appropriate treatment.
Try not to isolate yourself, even if in those moments, that's exactly what you want to do. It is important to make an effort and start by doing the things that once made you happy, along with people who can help you.
If you want to heal your wounds and move forward, then you need to face the situations that stress you and make you suffer.
In most of the cases, a psychologist will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel and realize that often your "little worries" are not insurmountable.
And remember, as the poet Amado Nervo said, "Is life sad, or me? " it happens to us all to be sad, but it does not matter, because nobody can be happy and happy in all circumstances.
Happiness is the journey you have made each day and the way you face obstacles and learn from them, more than the goal you want to achieve.