Bars have many functions. One of them is to make the world better. Coffee and beer are just excuses used to solve global problems. Many political alternatives, which always seem better than real ones, are issued in bars. However,if we want to refine our approaches and make proposals more adapted to reality, we will have to do geopolitics.
Geopolitics is a science that deals with the study of the effects of geography, both human and physical, on international politics and international relations.It is a method of studying foreign policy designed to understand, explain and predict international political behavior through geographical variables. If you want to be the most admired during debates or, at least, the most relevant to the views of his ideas, continue reading the following.
Geopolitics presents four imperatives. These imperatives will condition the political behavior of the different countries; indeed, any behavior of a country should conform to these requirements. The first imperative is thatall countries want to achieve and maintain an adequate level of power. Secondly, the most important thing for any country is to maintain territorial unity. So that countries will defend their borders. Finally, countries need reliable and sustainable connections with other countries.
"Geopolitics is a science that studies the effects of geography on international politics and international relations."Share
Achieve and maintain an adequate level of power
The main goal of any country is to survive, and its imperative is to achieve and maintain an adequate level of power. In that case,to have power is to have the ability to influence another country. It is about bringing another country to do what we want, even if this action proves to be harmful for the said country or that the latter does not wish to achieve it. Although military might is the most important thing here, it is not the only recourse that countries can rely on. There is also soft power, consisting of culture, education, business, innovation, and so on. This kind of power can also influence other countries.
Reaching power does not mean being the most powerful country. This remains far from the possibilities of most countries. Consequently, hejust need to be more powerful than the countries with which we are competing to achieve an adequate level of power. Internal actions can be taken to this end, such as increasing economic or military capabilities, but it is also possible to strengthen alliances with other countries or to put an end to existing alliances with other countries.
Strategies to increase power
Some of the strategies most often used to increase power would be:
- Counterbalance: this strategy is to balance the power between several countries. In the case of the Middle East, it is tried that the power of countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran, is similar. If these countries retain similar power, none will take control of the region and it will be easier to negotiate with them.
- Blackmail: when we have more power than another country or we have resources that the other wants, we can blackmail him. For example, threatening a country to go to war against it if more favorable business relations are not established.
- To bleed: if a country is in a bad situation, it is at war, and we are not doing anything, we let it bleed and lose power. So that our country will gain power.
- Transmit the charge to another: let another person take care of the problems. If the neighboring country has problems, we can always wait for another country to help.
- War: going to war with another country can increase our power if we win the war. In particular our power over the country with which we fight. This strategy is nevertheless frowned upon and requires a significant investment.
Keep the power
In responding to the first imperative, others arise that help to reach the first. So that countries seek to maintain territorial unity. No country will want internal revolts. These would only hurt their image vis-à-vis other countries and weaken their power. A clear example of this is lived in Spain with the case of Catalonia. The separatist movements are a threat to the survival of the countries.
Countries must protect their borders to survive.Borders between countries can be a threat when the neighboring country is an enemy.The borders between Spain and Morocco, located in the cities of Ceuta and Melilla, have been the scene of several conflicts.Spain's goal is to maintain good relations with Morocco. The opposite could be a threat since Morocco could leave the border open to thousands of people.
Finally, given the increase in power, another imperative is to ensure external connections.Maintaining business relationships is necessary for the survival of all countries.Storing the missing goods and selling the goods that the country needs are needed to improve the economy. Good trade relations can increase the power of a country. The behavior of countries, their international relations can be interpreted on the basis of these four imperatives. If we also take into account the geography, the graphic representation of the territory and the borders between the countries, we speak then of geopolitics.